Cuesta de Sto. Domingo, 3
This is number 3 of Madrid’s Cuesta de Santo Domingo. Near the Palacio de Oriente, some say that General Miguel Primo de Rivera had his office here before his son Jose Antonio chose it for his own lawyer’s office.

The lack of economic resources of the Falange, obliged them to transfer the headquarters of Falange and SEU from the Marqués de Riscal street to the Cuesta de Santo Domingo in March 1935, where they stayed until the beginning of February 1936.

These walls still keep the echo, not only of the voice of José Antonio, but also of Onésimo, David Jato, Ruiz de Alda, Agustín Aznar, Alejandro Salazar, Víctor Fragoso, Justina Rodríguez,... There it was celebrated the II Consejo Nacional FE de las JONS (November 1935) and the II Consejo Nacional del SEU (December 1935). Memories of those times is on the poster that we see at the entrance of the premises, which is the original poster that announced the meeting relating to the elections of 1936.
Cartel electoral de febrero de 1936

Ventanas del despacho de José Antonio
But without any doubt, the memory most intimate and emotional is the small office that belonged to José Antonio, today occupied by the President of the Brotherhood. The whole of the office pays homage to José Antonio and the Falange. Although you cannot appreciate it from the photograph, this area keeps the original floor named "hydraulic", typical of the time when the building was constructed.

Above the chimney, a fresco evocative of the Fallen Comrades, on guard under the bright stars. The fresco is a copy of the painting of Sáez de Tejada, belonging to the collection of lithographs of the "Cara al Sol". Marking all of the ceiling in golden letters, you can read in Latin: "that God gives you eternal rest and to deny us until we know how to win for Spain the harvest which was sown by your death."
...que hacen guardia sobre los luceros

Al fondo, la vidriera
Also inside the office there is located the stained-glass window, which we call "of the chapel", that before the necessary refurbishment gave access to a small chapel that was used for religious ceremonies.The beautiful multi-coloured stained-glass window, represents St Joseph and the child and Luis de Gonzaga.

At the end of the civil war in 1939, and despite there being only six years since the birth, hardened by the pre-war happenings and during the war, the Falange already had their old shirts with the smell of gunpowder and scrapes of lead. For them was created the National Inspectorate of the Old Guard, the main concern is the ‘first blue shirts’, those that affiliated to the Falange before the war. Moved perhaps by nostalgia they took again the lease of this historic place in the Cuesta de Sto. Domingo.In 1976 many organisations created during the Epoch of Franco disappeared, but the Inspectorate knew how to transform itself into a Brotherhood and kept itself in the same premises till today.
Yugo y busto de José Antonio en el salón de actos

Lámpara de cinco luces y decorada con cinco yugos y flechas
During the 80s, the National Headquarters of FE_JONS returned to the Cuseta de Sto. Domingo, after almost fifty years of absence, to share the premises with the Brotherhood. Soon afterwards it also became the provincial headquarters of the Madrid Falange.

This situation was maintained until 1996, the year in which the Falange moved to other premises

From the time that the Old Guard was installed here, their main aim was to acquire these premises. After arduous and hard negotiations, in 1999, the Brotherhood finalised the "noble part" of the offices. Irrelevant for many, this acquisition imposed a landmark: it is the only historic property in the hands of the Falangistas. Without doubt it imposes a new and grand responsibility: to maintain and transmit this historic legacy to new generations, including those not yet born.
Juramento de la Falange

José Antonio Primo de Rivera
Of the actual public hall, prominently displayed is a portrait in oils of José Antonio and recalls his early age, almost an adolescent, in which he has his lawyer’s licence. Painted by J. Bueno Echevarria in 1939, of the Seville school, the civil war had recently finished and it is thought painted from a photograph.

This original oil painting by an unknown artist has it’s own history: It was rescued at the end of the 70s from a rubbish bin – During the transition the Spanish people tried by all means to erase everything that related to Franco and the Falange- and was restored by plenty of love and patience. But in reality it is unknown who is the young woman in the painting, some suppose that she could be Mari Paz Unciti, who was assassinated at cementery's walls in 1936, when she was 18.
¿Mari Paz de Unciti?

Caídos de la Falange madrileña
984 comrades of the Falange and SEU of Madrid gave their lives for Spain. Of these, 27 were assassinated during the second Republic, 847 during the civil war (fighting in the front line or in the fifth column, assassinated in the checas, in the jails or against the wall in the cemetery); and 110 were buried somewhere in Russia with the peculiar uniform of the Blue Division.

With the property of the headquarters, and thanks to the tenacity of various comrades, were able to put into motion the first syndicalist national library, which was inaugurated on 24th April 2002. The donations from comrades and sympathisers came almost straightaway and the donations of books and also magazines, cassettes of music, videos and documents. For the first time the historic recuperation of the memory of the Falange is a fact.
Biblioteca